Essential Fatty Acids (EFA) are imperative to our well-being. Two important families of fats are omegas 3 and 6. Similar to vitamins and minerals, EFAs are “essential” because we need them for proper well-being; unfortunately they cannot be produced by the body so we must consume these fats through diet or supplementation. There are two main omega-3s—eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA)—both encourage healthy immune response in people. EPA and DHA have also been noted to improve cardiovascular health, brain and cognitive function, joint mobility, vision, pregnancy and lactation and healthy skin and hair.
Fish Oil & Pregnancy
“DHA is particularly important to babies and to pregnant and lactating women”.
As it has been previously noted, omega-3 essential fatty acids in fish oil are crucial throughout life, but are especially important during pregnancy. Why? This is because a woman’s DHA levels decreases substantially during pregnancy and will continue to remain low for 9-12 months after delivery unless her diet is optimal. As we now know, DHA is an omega-3 EFA and makes up 20% of the fatty acid in the brain’s cerebral cortex, an important nutrient for pregnant and lactating women. To maintain optimal health in moms, babies and young children, international experts recommend a minimum of 300mg of DHA per day.
Safety and Benefits
Omega-3 fish oil is natural and safe for long-term use and is endorsed by the American Pregnancy Association. Expecting mothers who consume DHA would encourage brain, eyes and nervous system development for her child. DHA would also provide mood and nerve support for mothers in the weeks following child birth. A fish oil with higher DHA levels would also support healthy birth weight and gestational length, promote attention and focus in infants and children as well as support healthy immune system development.
Research finds that:
• Omega–3 consumption in pregnancy may reduce the risk of allergies in children*
• Omega–3 consumption in pregnancy may reduce the risk of colds in infants*
• Omega–3 consumption may support learning*
Expecting mothers should consider supplementing with formulations such as Nordic Naturals Prenatal DHA as it is the ideal supplement before and during pregnancy, providing safe and effective omega-3 nutrition for both moms and babies. With 450 mg DHA per serving, Prenatal DHA generously fulfills international recommendations for daily DHA intake. Inside this formulation you will also find an additional 400 I.U. of natural vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol), for strong bones and mood support.
Omega-3 Fish Oil and Children
As previously noted there are many benefits to omega–3 nutrition and children have the most to gain from these essential fats. From prenatal babies to adolescents, children rely heavily on EPA and DHA for visual, brain and immune system development, and for normal emotional and cognitive function. This has a lot to do with the rapid growth of the brain in childhood. Along with a healthy diet that includes fish and fresh green leafy vegetables, it is important to consider supplementing with a premium fish oil product for your child. Parents should consider the following formulations by Nordic Naturals so that their children can achieve the desired results of omega-3 fish oils:
• Nordic Naturals DHA Junior liquid. This formula is made from 100% wild Arctic cod and is rich in omega-3 DHA which is essential to brain function. It offers healthy levels of 100% natural vitamins A and D. It has a fresh strawberry taste, free of strawberry allergens.
• Nordic Natural DHA Junior soft gels. This is the same formula as DHA Junior liquid, but in strawberry flavored soft gels that are easily swallowed or chewed by children 3 years and older.
There are many Omega-3 products available to date, why choose Nordic Naturals?
Many medical professionals and research institutions choose Nordic natural fish oil and fish oil blends for the following reasons:
• Surpasses international pharmaceutical standards which guarantee quality products by setting maximum allowances on peroxides, heavy metals, dioxins and PCBs. There are no detectable heavy metals, dioxins and PCBs inside each product.
• Exceptional freshness through an oxygen-free manufacturing process which maintains the freshness of fish oils and peroxide values well below the European Pharmacopeia Standard limits. The lower the peroxide, the fresher the fish oil.
• Utilizes proprietary enzymatic and oxygen-free processing technologies to ensure no fishy smell, taste, or aftertaste.
• Exclusive and exceptional raw materials available in each product. Selected fish species are carefully picked and are naturally low in toxins and high in omega–3 fats. All products are made exclusively from four types of fish, all sustainably sourced, and none of which is endangered: Arctic cod (Skrei) from Norwegian waters; anchovies and sardines from the Southern Pacific Ocean; and salmon (Pink and Sockeye) from Alaska’s Cook Inlet.
• Uses several steps in processing oils, from water and clay filters to molecular distillation, with no chemicals or excessive heat, all while preserving the natural constituents of the oil to the highest degree possible.
• Most concentrated fish oils on the market today are in the ethyl ester molecular form—a synthetic fat with only about 30 years of history in the human diet—all Nordic Naturals formulas are produced in true triglyceride form to ensure optimal absorption and results. New research shows that the absorption advantage of the triglyceride form is significant—up to 70% more than ethyl esters.
• Driven by research, where processing technology and product formulations are driven by the latest scientific developments recognized by leading experts worldwide.
• Great commitment to the health of our oceans through regulated fishing, bycatch prevention, habitat protection and marine pollution protection.
Anyone can say that they produce superior omega-3 fish oil however not everyone can prove that this is the case. Many leading organizations and experts have set purity standards for natural products. Nordic Naturals meets every one of them. Click here for the attached chart of proof.
Are you interested in learning more about Nordic Naturals or need help choosing the right fish oil product? Visit us today and speak with one of our qualified health care professionals.