Between the ages of fifteen and thirty, hair grows about half an inch each month. Many of us, though, are less interested in how fast hair grows than we are in how fast it is falling out. There can be many causes of hair loss including side effects of prescription drugs, nutrient deficiency, free radical damage, gluten intolerance, hypothyroidism, stress and the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT) in both men and women with age.
Many nutrients are needed to prevent thinning hair. The most important ones seem to be Vitamin A, iron, zinc and essential fatty acids such as omega 3 found in flax and fish oils. Other important nutrients include B vitamins, calcium, copper, iodine, selenium, silica and sulphur. Vitamins C and E can be used as antioxidants to neutralize free radical damage and grapeseed, pycnogenol, dong quai and saw palmetto berries are useful to treat male pattern baldness and prevent the conversion of testosterone to DHT.
Better Living in Toronto stocks a variety of high quality supplement formulas designed specifically for stopping hair loss as well as all the individual nutrients and herbs mentioned above. In addition to supplementing for hair loss here is a simple recipe that you can make to support hair growth naturally and safely:
Stimulating Hair Growth Recipe
- 2 drops Organic Cedarwood (essential oil)
- 2 drops Organic Thyme (essential oil)
- 3 drops Organic Lavender (essential oil)
- 3 drops Organic Rosemary (essential oil)
- 3 ml Organic Jojoba oil (carrier oil)
- 20 ml Organic Grapeseed oil (carrier oil)
- First place the base of jojoba and grapeseed oils into a jar and then add the cedarwood, thyme, lavender and rosemary. Place the lid on the jar and shake thoroughly.
- Pour a small amount of the mixture into your hands, apply onto scalp and massage.
- Cover your head with a warm towel for a minimum of 20 minutes or maximum time of overnight.
- Shampoo your hair, rinse and style as usual.
The above blend will not only help thinning hair, it will also stop hair loss and stimulate new hair growth. You can apply the blend as often as once a day or a minimum of 3 times a week.
Our knowledgeable staff at Better Living in Toronto is available by phone at 416-249-1895 and via email at firstname.lastname@example.org to answer your questions and support you on your path to vibrant health.