A recent study by the Journal of the American Medical Association reveals that a majority of Americans regularly take nutritional supplements in one form or another, spending $34.9 billion on them in 2013 alone.
But with so many multivitamins to choose from it can be difficult to know which ones to take. And while their usage has been declining as people opt for more specialized supplements, multivitamins are still used by a significant number of Americans – 31%.
So with the plethora of products available on the market, what makes multivitamins a healthy choice? And what product should you choose?
In this article, we’ll take a look at multivitamins and examine why they are an essential part of everyone’s overall health plan.
Why You Need Multivitamin Support
There’s no question that the best nutrients come from a complete diet consisting of natural, whole foods. Sadly, in our society, this is becoming less and less the case for most individuals.
It’s estimated that one-third of Americans will have diabetes by 2050, and medical expenses related to diabetes are already in excess of $78.5 billion yearly. With so many poor eating choices out there and with so many of us choosing to consume them, fewer of us are getting the nutritional intake we need to lead healthy lives.
Multivitamins can help provide nutritional support when our food choices are less than ideal. They provide a specially formulated mix of vitamins, minerals, extracts and compounds that can help to shore up and regulate your body’s vital functions.
The benefits of taking a multivitamin include:
- Increased energy levels and stamina
- A boosted immune system
- Improved organ function, including cardiovascular support
- Cognitive improvement in relation to memory and concentration
There are 11 vitamins and minerals our bodies need for optimal health. Not only are they essential for tissue and organ functionality but they’re also critical to the body’s ability to metabolize food, promote healthy cells and for the nervous system to communicate effectively.
Multivitamins can be very beneficial to people who:
- Don’t regularly eat healthy, balanced meals
- Are vegetarian or vegan
- Have higher than normal stress factors
- Are lacking in sleep
When selecting a multivitamin, it’s important to choose one that contains all the necessary vitamins and minerals in appropriate doses. Fortunately, there is one scientifically formulated brand that lets you take the guesswork out of selecting a multivitamin.
Introducing Metagenics Phytomulti
Phytomulti from Metagenics is a full-spectrum multivitamin offering a blend of phytonutrients – chemicals found in plants that help promote optimal cell signals promoting healthy body function – and extracts designed to provide nutritional support down to the cellular and DNA level.
In addition to all the essential vitamins, minerals, Phytomulti brings a wide variety of health-promoting bioactive plant compounds to the table, including:
- Lutein, a carotenoid vitamin related to beta-carotene that’s frequently used to promote eye health and prevent conditions such as cataracts, retinitis pigmentosa, and macular degeneration
- Zeaxanthin, another potent carotenoid antioxidant that promotes healthy vision and protects your eyes from ultraviolet sunlight
- Lycopene, a naturally occurring plant-based carotenoid believed to help prevent heart disease and some forms of cancer, as well as promoting both eye and respiratory health
- Resveratrol, a member of a class of compounds called polyphenols that are believed to have antioxidant properties that help to prevent conditions such as cancer and cardiovascular disease
Phytomulti is available in a variety of formulations, depending on your particular health support needs. These include:
- Phytomulti tablet without iron, the standard formulation containing full-spectrum vitamin and mineral support with phytonutrient enhancement
- Phytomulti tablet with iron, bringing all the benefits of the standard formulation with the addition of 18mg of iron, which translates to 100% of the recommended daily intake
- Phytomulti capsules, gluten-free and non-GMO vegetarian capsules designed to be easier to swallow
Metagenics’ Phytomulti line of multivitamins is engineered to promote optimal health through the use of scientifically derived ingredients and bioactive antioxidants. Not only will you be taking in a healthy mix of essential vitamins and minerals, you’ll have the additional cellular and DNA support needed for optimal health.
It takes you “beyond basic wellness” to optimize metabolism, energize and protect your nervous system and eyes, as well as your cardiovascular, endocrine and immune systems.
When you’re looking for robust multivitamin support to maximize your overall health, Metagenics Phytomulti has the ingredients you need for health and vitality.
Better Living is a Toronto-based store promoting health and wellbeing with a philosophy of helping you make the best decisions possible through a holistic approach to health. Contact us to learn how our knowledgeable staff can help you reach your health goals.