Is your Coconut Oil Organic, Virgin, Fair-Trade and Hand-Pressed?
If you have been following natural health trends, you most likely are aware of the multiple health benefits of coconut oil. It may already be a part of your diet or your favourite skin care product. You may have also noticed that the quality, smell and taste of coconut oil sometimes vary significantly from brand to brand.
At Better Living Wellness Clinic and Health Store in Toronto (Etobicoke), we pride ourselves in sourcing the best quality ingredients and products. We carry a variety of coconut oil products in various sizes, forms and flavours for both internal and topical purposes. Without a doubt, my go to coconut oil for close to the past decade has been Alpha DME Organic Virgin Coconut Oil.
Alpha DME Organic Virgin Coconut Oil is a unique coconut oil in that it is processed and handled by hand from harvest to table. This organic, virgin coconut oil is certified fair-trade and is hand-pressed in the Solomon Islands by the natives on their own family farms.
They use a special process called DME (Direct Micro Expelling) that uses a manual cold press that produces raw oil form fresh coconuts within an hour and a half of them falling off the tree, thus retaining the maximum freshness and flavour of coconut. This process eliminates any concern of contamination with mold or other impurities ensuring the highest quality coconut oil. Once a coconut is husked, it starts to oxidize and enzymes start to break down the oil which can cause harshness in flavour and reduces the antimicrobial value of the oil. In the case of Alpha DME Organic Virgin Coconut Oil, the coconuts are pressed right away, sometimes even within 20 minutes, which stabilizes the oil and preserves its freshness. Factory produced coconut oil can take from a few days to a couple of weeks before it’s pressed, which compromises its freshness, purity and taste.
Alpha DME Coconut oil is rich in medium chain triglycerides (MCT’s) that provide cellular energy to major organs such as liver, brain and heart.
Here is a list of 5 uses of coconut oil that most everyone can benefit from:
- Memory and Brain Function – In a study from 2004, it was found that coconut oil improved memory in older adults. Coconut oil plays an important role in preventing dementia and Alzheimer’s. It is also beneficial in cases of depression, anxiety, ADHD and neurological disorders.
- Antimicrobial and Immune Suppport– coconut oil contains lauric acid which is a potent anti-fungal, anti-viral and antibacterial agent.
- Energy and Endurance – MCT’s in coconut oil provide a longer sustained energy source that is readily available for your body to use. MCT’s go directly to the liver where they are converted to energy and are great option for athletes or anyone needing a quick boost of energy.
- Weight Loss – Coconut oil helps burn fat, reduces appetite and boosts metabolism.
- Skin and hair care – Coconut oil is one of the cleanest and gentlest products you can use for your skin and hair. It helps with dry, itchy scalp; thickens hair and relieves dandruff. Coconut oil also improves a variety of skin conditions such as burns, eczema, psoriasis, dermatitis, etc.
At Better Living Wellness Clinic and Health Store in Toronto (Etobicoke) we carry both Alpha DME Organic Virgin Coconut Oil as well as their MCT oils in a variety of sizes. Speak to our knowledgeable staff to learn more about incorporating coconut oil into your diet and how this could benefit you. We are available at email@example.com and 416-249-1895.