This oil has been used for thousand years in traditional medicine for a variety of health conditions. Mothers and grandmothers all over the world used it with their children and grandchildren at the first sign of illness. Even though it tasted unappealing, it worked! Yes, you guessed it! We are talking about castor oil and its benefits.
Castor oils can be used both topically and internally. Since it might be harsh on the digestive tract for some people, it is mostly used topically as a castor oil pack. Castor oil packs can be messy so Better Living Wellness Clinic and Health Store in Toronto (Etobicoke) carries Oja organic compresses for these oil packs.
Here is what you need to do:
- Soak a cotton flannel cloth in castor oil
- Apply it directly onto the desired body part
- Cover with saran wrap
- Add another cloth or an old towel
- Place a hot water bottle on top of the cloth or towel
- Relax for 30-60 minutes
After you are done, place the castor oil saturated flannel into a glass container and store it in the fridge. The same cloth could be used up to 30 times before washing or replacing it. Wash the body part with warm water and soap to remove any leftover castor oil and prevent stains on your clothes or bed sheets.
Here are some of the benefits of using castor oil topically:
- Anti-inflammatory properties especially when used with a hot water pack to increase absorption and lymphatic drainage. Reduces swelling, pain, water retention, cysts, and fibroids.
- Immune health – castor oils supports lymphatic system drainage. Lymph absorbs and removes waste materials and excess fluid from our cells while lymph nodes work on filtering these toxins while also producing antibodies that fight foreign bacteria and viruses.
- Detoxifies internal organs – helps detoxify the colon and liver, improves digestion and relieves constipation especially when used as a castor oil pack.
- Hair health – promotes thicker and stronger hair and a healthy scalp
- Skin health – reduces skin redness and inflammation, itching, acne, abrasions and fungal infections.
Our best quality and most popular castor oil is St. Francis organic castor oil. St. Francis castor oil is also expeller-pressed, hexane free and available in two sizes: 250ml and 500ml.
St. Francis Herb Farm is a Canadian company with a strong reputation for the quality of their products which they grow and harvest themselves. St. Francis Herb Farm uses only Certified Organic and Wildcrafted herbs ensuring the highest quality herbs in their products.
Speak to one of Better Living’s nutritionists on staff about how castor oil can benefit you. Our clinic offers a variety of services that can help address the root of your health concerns.