Ever come home from a long day at work feeling mentally and physically exhausted? Although we can’t provide a remedy for an overbearing supervisor or a day full of grueling meetings, there is an ancient routine that can help relieve some of the pain and stresses we deal with everyday: Ayurvedic head massage.
Ayurvedic head massages are an ancient massage practice with strong roots in traditional Indian culture. Massage has always played an integral role in Indian life and dates back to nearly 4,000 years ago. In Indian culture, massage, when used in conjunction with herbs, spices, and aromatic, oils, has been known to encourage the body’s natural healing abilities. Ayurvedic head massages focus on releasing energy blockades in the body and decreasing symptoms of a range of ailments. It increases circulation to the head and promotes drainage of accumulated toxins.
Benefits of Ayurvedic Head Massage
In general, regular massages help detoxify the body and provide nourishment to deeper muscle tissue. This regular therapy can help produce a powerful preventive and rejuvenative effect on the body and leave you feeling young, vital, beautiful, and healthy.
Ailments related to the head are common and can be debilitating – migraine is the 3rd most prevalent illness in the world and 91 percent miss work or can’t function normally during a migraine attack. Below we review some of the benefits Ayurvedic head massages can have for the hair and scalp in addition to other functions of the body.
Hair and Scalp Benefits
Ayurvedic head massages lubricate and condition, resulting in many health benefits for the scalp and hair. Ayurvedic head massages help spread the natural oils of the hair, increasing hair lustre and vibrancy while replenishing and rejuvenating dry or damaged hair. It can help subside hair related issues such as dandruff, dead skin, scalp psoriasis, etc. and can help prevent the hair from greying by protecting it against harmful effects of sun and harsh weather. Head massages can also help increase blood supply to the scalp, increasing the supply of nutrients received by the hair follicles and reducing hair loss and drying of hair. Ayurvedic head massages help reduce stress as well and can trigger the release of endorphins, elevating one’s mood.
Other Benefits of Ayurvedic Head Massage
Specialized head massages can help support the head and scalp in a range of ways. However, Ayurvedic head and scalp massages can also help improve your health in other ways such as:
- Supporting the nervous system by relieving stress
- Stimulating the lymphatic system, encouraging the elimination of toxins
- Breaking down problematic knots in muscles
- Relieving chronic neck and shoulder stiffness
- Increasing oxygen uptake in muscle tissue
- Improving blood circulation
- Relieving migraine pain
- Improving mental concentration
- Helping your body relax, resulting in better sleep
We’ve learned that Ayurvedic head massages have a lot of health benefits for the scalp and many other parts of the body. So how do you begin practicing Ayurvedic head massages at home?
How to Give an Ayurvedic Head Massage
- First, begin by choosing the oil you’ll be using in the massage. Some of the more commonly used oils include almond, coconut, mustard, olive, and sesame oil. Warm the oil to a comfortable temperature.
- Begin by massaging the oil into the scalp, starting from the sides and working your way towards the top. Gently massage the whole head with your thumbs and fingers, working your way toward the front and back of the head.
- Gently grab fistfuls of hair from the root and tug from side to side, using your knuckles to knead very close to the scalp. Using the heels of your hands, squeeze at the temples and make slow, wide circular movements.
- Move the head down slightly and massage the back of the neck by squeezing and rolling the muscles, beginning at the top of the neck and working your way down. Use your hands alternatively.
- Place your thumbs under the corresponding occipital area (base of the head) and use a rubbing movement to relax the tight muscles in those areas.
- Use medium pressure to gently squeeze the shoulder muscles that start at the base of the neck and work your way outwards along the shoulder all the way down to the elbow. Once you reach the elbow, go back to the base of the neck and repeat the sequence two more times, concentrating on squeezing the muscle tissue.
- After squeezing along the neck and down the arms to the elbows, use the flat palm of your hand to rub along the same neck-to-elbow areas. Repeat twice.
- Finally, lightly rub all over the head and extend this movement to cover the face. If time allows, leave a few minutes afterward for quiet relaxation and reflection.
Interested in receiving a professional Ayurvedic head massage? Better Living offers Indian head massages through our registered massage therapist Camilla Singh, a standing member of the College of Massage Therapists of Ontario. All massage services are covered by most extended health benefit plans. To book your appointment and experience the benefits of a professional Ayurvedic head massage, contact either Camila Singh, RMT directly at 416-301-8085 (preferred) or call Better Living Wellness Clinic and Health Store at 416-249-1895.
Trusted for over 40 years, Better Living takes pride in our reputation of offering our clients an unparalleled level of caring, personalization, and confidential service. If you’re interested in learning more about Ayurvedic head massages or want to learn more about other natural ways to improve your health, we can help. Our knowledgeable and experienced staff walk our clients through all of their options until we find the best solution for their health. Contact us today and let us help you get started on your personal health journey.