Now-a-days when we walk into a health food store, we see a great selection of Essential Fatty Acids or Omega 3 fish oils. Some of us often wonder why certain bottles say high DHA and some other say more EPA? So lets talk about the big mystery behind choosing an oil high in DHA versus EPA.
The popular Omega 3 fish oil has two long chain fatty acids – EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) and DHA (docosahexaenoic acid). Most commonly these fatty acids are found in oily fish, seafood and small amounts in algae. Fish oil in general has the following benefits:
- Reduces inflammation,
- Improves mood
- Lessens joint pain,
- Reduces harmful triglycerides,
- Increases HDL cholesterol,
- Speeds up the healing process,
- Benefits kidneys,
- Protects the skin,
- Manages inflammatory GI conditions,
- Reduces the chances of infection in the body,
- Reduces muscle fatigue
- Alleviates migraine headaches
- Helpful in reducing the risk of certain cancers
According to Elson M. Haas (Staying healthy with Nutrition), “in certain areas of our brain we have, more than 35% of all phospholipids (major component of the cell membranes) have DHA attached as their middle fatty acids. The other phospholipid with high concentration of DHA are in the eyes.” Therefore, DHA is highly beneficial for cognitive/brain health as well as vision health.
EPA is equally important for the development and maintenance of our mental health. Thousands of the research has been conducted on the benefits of this Omega 3 oil since it has been discovered (1950s). However, the science now is getting more up-to-date on the individual benefits of DHA and EPA. At Better Living we offer a wide selection of Omega 3 fish oil products including the ProDHA and ProEPA by Nordic Naturals.
Before we talk about the benefits of both EPA and DHA from fish oil in more detail we must understand that our need for EPA and DHA may change throughout our lifespan.
Nordic Naturals ProDHA™ 1000 is an omega-rich formula that offers increased DHA potency. ProDHA 1000 offers 960 mg of DHA per serving, maximizing your dosage, and thus benefits. Various research confirms the following benefits of DHA from fish oil:
- DHA supports healthy brain function
- Beneficial for vision/eye health
- DHA is great for the entire nervous system
- DHA support good memory and recall ability
- Provides overall cognitive support
- DHA is also known to reduce aggression
- DHA is known to help with epilepsy.
You can take up-to two soft gels of Nordic Naturals ProDHA daily or as advised by your primary healthcare practitioner. High DHA oils are extremely neuroprotective and therefore can be used for any mental health condition.
Nordic Naturals Pro EPA oil provides 850 mg of EPA in two soft gels. Well known benefits of EPA from fish oil are:
- Clinically shown to support good mood.
- EPA helps lower cardiovascular risk factors.
- EPA promote general sense of calmness.
- Nordic Naturals research has shown benefits of EPA in fat metabolism.
- EPA maintains healthy levels of blood sugar.
- EPA (along with DHA) assists with fertility and healthy fetal growth.
- EPA is known to reduce the effects of ADD and ADHD in children.
- EPA assists with childhood behavioural issues.
- EPA also improves dry skin condition.
- Nordic Naturals high EPA can help reduce inflammation that causes asthma and allergies.
- Good results are seen in people taking high EPA when suffering from dementia, depression and dyslexia as well as conditions such as MS and Parkinson’s.
- EPA also helps in joint health, bone problems and heart health issues.