Currently, Manuka honey is one of the most sought after natural healing products for immunity, skin care, respiratory disturbances such as colds, cough and flu, infections and more. This powerful antibacterial honey is produced in New Zealand by the local bees that pollinate the white flowers of the native Manuka tree or Manuka plants. Manuka trees are known to only bloom four weeks in a year.
Honey has been used traditionally as a healing food globally for thousands of years. Honey is known to treat multiple health conditions; however, Manuka Honey is well known for its antibacterial properties against pathogenic bacteria’s such as H. pylori making it a superfood. Manuka honey is thicker in texture and has a more gel like consistency than other honey’s.
When looking or purchasing for Manuka honey ensure that it is:
- Raw or unpasteurized
- Additive and preservative free
What makes Manuka Honey popular?
Most raw honey contains hydrogen peroxide which is a natural antibiotic, but Manuka honey contains Methylglyoxal (MG) in high quantity which is a stronger antibiotic.
“Manuka honey has been shown to have 100 times more MG than other conventional honeys and is effective against 60 species of bacteria.”
Nutrition in Manuka Honey
Manuka honey contains enzymes, amino acids, iron, zinc, potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, manganese, zinc, copper, calcium and B vitamins.
Unique Manuka Factor:
The researcher in New Zealand discovered that manuka honey carries a higher number of enzymes than other honeys. These enzymes can create a natural hydrogen peroxide that works well as an anti-microbial agent.
Here at Better Living we carry the MGO Manuka Honey from Manuka Health New Zealand, which is based on a rating system introduced in 2007. Scientific evidence has confirmed methylglyoxal as one of the most important key compounds naturally occurring in Manuka honey found in New Zealand. The honey that we carry has been tested to ensure quality, purity and authenticity. Each MGOTM Manuka Honey product is tested and certified to contain a minimum level of methylglyoxal ranging from 30 mg/kg to 550 mg/kg.
At Better Living we have the following categories of Manuka Honey:
Health Benefits of Manuka Honey:
Manuka Honey has many promising health benefits and shows results faster than regular honey. Some of the health benefits are:
- Manuka Honey is amazing for the immune system and keeps away seasonal cough and cold.
- Manuka honey also assists in relieving pressure from sinusitis.
- The honey helps with GI conditions such as low stomach acid and acid reflux.
- Many saw benefits of using Manuka honey for acne and eczema.
- Manuka honey is also known to aid in healing minor wounds, burns and ulcers.
- Manuka honey is known to improve allergy symptoms.
- This honey is used as a face or skin mask for beauty treatments.
- Manuka honey is also used to brighten skin complexion and treat minor scars on the skin.
- Manuka honey is known to assist in the population of healthy bacteria on the skin.
- Manuka honey combined with warm milk can assist in improving sleep.
You can find the full selection of Manuka Health New Zealand Honey at Better Living (1500 Royal York Rd). Combining Manuka Honey with a good health regime and other herbal medicine can support great skin care, immune health and work as first aid support for minor wounds.