Ever heard of the Zinc tally test? If not, you’re just about to. But first, let’s talk about what zinc is and why it is so critical for our health. Zinc is an essential mineral needed by our body for hundreds of different functions including immune support, healthy cell division, wound healing and fighting free radical damage. Zinc is also an essential mineral in male and female hormone health, as well as healthy, glowing skin. It’s found in mostly meat, nuts and seeds. But, also vegetables such as spinach, asparagus and squash, as well as various forms of supplementation. Whichever way you obtain it, daily consumption is key for optimal health.
Zinc deficiency can present itself in many ways including:
- Low libido,
- Poor taste and smell,
- Sinus problems and allergies,
- Frequent colds and flus,
- Poor memory,
- White spots on fingernails, and
- Skin issues such as acne and eczema.
So, why do we become zinc deficient in the first place?
Well, like anything the biggest culprit is often excess stress on the body, whether in the form of mental or physical strain, a poor diet, or excess toxic exposure. In addition, vegans or vegetarians can also be prone to low zinc levels due to lower levels of animal protein consumption.
I’m sure by this point you are probably thinking ‘What if I have a zinc deficiency?’ and ‘How can I know?’ A blood test can give a good indication of deficiencies. But, there is one way that is much less painful and also non-invasive and doesn’t take a trip to the doctor’s office- The Zinc tally test! Let me explain…
The zinc tally test involves drinking a small amount of the liquid mineral and, depending on your reaction to it, it can indicate quite accurately whether you have adequate zinc levels in your body or not.
Here’s how its done….
Take 2 teaspoons of Metagenics Zinc Tally liquid, available at Better Living in Toronto (Etobicoke). This contains around 10 ml of liquid zinc. You may notice 1 of 4 things:
- A very unpleasant taste immediately, this indicates high levels of zinc in the body
- A metallic taste appears in the mouth immediately after drinking indicates adequate levels of zinc are present in the body
- A metallic taste in the mouth appears 10-15 second after swallowing- a slight zinc deficiency is indicted – Low level supplementation may be recommended.
- No metallic taste is present at all and the liquid tastes like water – there is a severe zinc deficiency and supplementation is highly recommended.
This simple test is an effective and non-invasive way to test for zinc deficiency- common in so many of us. If you think you may have one or more symptoms book an appointment to see us at Better Living Wellness Clinic and Health Store in Toronto (Etobicoke) today for your zinc tally test and start your journey to a healthier, more vibrant you.