10 Ways to Support Your Child’s Immune System and Brain Health
Back to school can be a bitter sweet moment for parents. Sending your child to school brings back routines and schedules but it also brings home the nasty bugs, colds, flus and viruses. There are many ways that you can keep your family strong and healthy. Teaching your kids to wash their hands regularly is on the top of the list, but also supporting them nutritionally as well.
With many children being diagnosed with ADHD, ADD, ODD, Autism and other learning disabilities, it is so important to encourage healthy eating habits. A common North American diet consists of predominately processed foods and high sugar consumption which is creating serious nutritional deficiencies in children and adults which leads to brain fog, suppressed immune systems, lack of concentration and many other health concerns. Making small steps with your family’s nutritional regime can create positive change in behaviors, physical energy, immune system and general health.
Feeding your family healthy homemade foods doesn’t have to be stressful. Having fruits washed and precutting vegetables for snacks, using crock pots/slow cookers to prepare meals for you in time for dinner.
Here are 10 Ways To Support Your Child’s Immune System and Brain Health, all available at Better Living Wellness Clinic and Health Store
- Probiotics-Increasing good bacteria in the gut improves immune system and brain function by overwhelming good bacteria in the gut. Probiotics come in powders, capsules, liquid and chewable tablets. It is essential for children with learning disabilities, ADHD and autism to consume probiotics daily.
- EFA’S-many studies support the positive effects of consuming fish oils that contain high levels of DHA and EPA on the brain and cognitive function. It is considered “essential” because the brain is 70% fat and needs good fats to support focus and concentration, especially with children with ADHD and autism as well as young growing brains. Having proper amounts of EFA’S help to improve mood as well.
- Limit Sugar and Carbohydrates-diets high in sugar rob the brain of essential nutrients and suppress the immune system. Carbohydrates should be considered sugar, because they turn into sugar in the body within about 20 minutes after consumption.
- Protein-amino acids found in eggs, meats and protein powders are crucial for brain development and function. Consuming clean proteins daily will feed the brain and increase cognitive function and increase physical energy.
- Antiviral/Immune Boosters- natural health products that contain medicinal mushrooms, herbs, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals that enhance the immune system. These types of formula will give your child a strong foundation so that they can fight off nasty bugs. They will lesson the severity and shorten the duration of the virus or flu.
- Multi Vitamin-will provide a foundation of essential vitamins, minerals and antioxidants for a growing child, especially when you have picky eaters.
- L-theanine-an amino acid found in green tea and predominant amounts in matcha green tea. L’theanine improves levels of serotonin and dopamine which calms the mind and allows the brain to focus without drowsiness. This calming effect can slow down the mind chatter so that you concentrate.
- Pharma Gaba-gaba is a neurotransmitter naturally found in the brain that sends messages to the nervous system. Supplementing with Pharma Gaba GABA for ADHD can improve mental performance and brain health.
- Reduce/Eliminate-food colours, preservatives and artificial flavours. These are man-made chemicals found in foods that encourage hyperactivity and lack of concentration. Children of all ages should consume wholefoods that come from nature daily to support their immune system and brain health.
- Vitamin D3-the sunshine vitamin is so important for the immune system and supports teeth, bone and muscle health. Canadians are now being tested with vitamin D deficiencies. Supplementing daily, especially in the colder months will help boost the immune system and prevent cold’s and flus.