The immune system is the network that protects us from bacteria, viruses, fungi, and toxins.
It’s made up of organs, cells, and proteins which all work together. When we talk about things that boost immunity, we often refer to nutrients, or lifestyle practices which allow one or all these systems to work at their best.
Our organs can be supported through drinking clean water, eating a whole-food diet free of chemical additives, and limiting caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol. Getting adequate protein and antioxidant intake will help produce protein antibodies. Eating good fats, paired with light exercise can support your lymphatic system which is packed with white blood cells.
To get the highest benefits, we can pair a healthy lifestyle with a host of herbs and supplemental nutrients.
Some great options to boost your defences are:
- Garlic: This bulb has been used to flavor cultural dishes for thousands of years. It not only offers great anti-microbial support, but it is great for lung and heart health.
- Black Seed: Also known as black cumin seed, this spice has been regarded as one of the oldest medicines. It regulates the whole immune system, is high in antioxidants, and helps reduce inflammation.
- ElderBerry: Elder offers wonderful benefits when fighting colds. It acts to suppress coughs, it supports fever, and helps clear the organs that are responsible for immunity.
- Nascent Iodine: This essential mineral helps maintain energy levels, and the nascent form acts as an anti-oxidant too!
As hard as we try, sometimes we do eventually get sick, so what can we do?
Some efficient offensive tools to fight the cold and flu are:
- Quercetin: Derived from plants, this antioxidant is a natural antihistamine that supports the lungs.
- Oregano Oil: Ask anybody that has tried this oil, and they will tell you it works! It supports the lungs and is also antimicrobial. If you don’t like how spicy the oil is, you can also get capsules, or even add a few drops of the oil to soups and stews for a delicious, medicated meal.
- Olive Leaf: Olive leaf extract is a great tool to have in the cold and flu toolkit. It’s a powerful antioxidant, antiviral and anti-inflammatory.
- Colloidal Silver: This metal is anti-microbial and can help clear out tough infections and bacteria.
- Bonus! L-Lysine: This amino acid prevents cold sores by inhibiting the HSV-1 virus!
The immune system has many ways to protect us, so we should try our best to support it too. Food, lifestyle, and supplemental support go a long way to staying healthy and living better.
Please keep in mind that if you are not able to come to the store in person, you can order over the phone. We offer free shipping for orders over $100 within the Greater Toronto Area.
We also offer a quick pick-up option to promote “physical distancing” as much as possible. To take advantage of this option, please order over the phone and we will prepare your order for pick-up; we can accept VISA or MasterCard.
For any questions regarding your health or concerns around this global health situation, please contact us at Better Living Wellness Clinic. We are here to support you during these difficult times.