The most common new years resolution we hear is to lose weight.
It is one of the busiest times of the year for trainers and gyms but as the weeks progress people’s motivation dwindles.
Beyond the aesthetics of weight loss, a healthy body weight is an important factor in the prevention of chronic pain and illness. The scale is not the only determining factor in a healthy weight.
Body fat percentage, waist to hip ratio and other forms beside the scale are better indicators of health status.
Weight loss is a lifestyle change, the fad diets out there are not designed for long term success in-fact they set us up for failure. There is no quick fix or magic pill that will solve all the weight woes.
But, there are ways to support the body, increase the metabolism by taking a few important steps.
Weight Loss Tips for 2022
- Increase your water intake – water helps to flush out toxins. Ideally filtered water.
- Remove processed foods and refined sugars as these are highly inflammatory. Whole foods require more calories to be burned when digesting. Remember diet is 80% of the equation if you are working out daily but have pastries and chocolates in between there will be no physical change.
- Intermittent fasting – ultimately what this does is decreases calories. Snacking adds up. Stick to 3 full meals per day (protein, carbs and fat)
- Support detoxifications organs, have regular bowel movements.
- Sleep between 7-8 hours per night studies show lack of sleep leads to making poorer dietary decisions.
- Support gut health – did you know the bacteria in your digestive system plays a role in stubborn weight gain? Add in pre and probiotics foods
- Exercise: 150 minutes of aerobic exercise weekly. Resistance training is your best friend. Lift those weights, muscle is more metabolically active therefore you burn calories even when your resting.
- Manage stress, cortisol is increased during times of stress and the body creates an inflammatory response further hindering weight loss.
Some of or favorite Metabolism Boosting Supplements:
- Genestra : HMF Metabolic probiotic
- Metagenics: Mediclear a combination of liver detoxifying herbs to help support the removal of harmful environmental toxins)
- L-carnitine-L-carnitine plays a critical role in energy production, as it converts fat into energy.
- Matcha Green Tea- EGCG in green tea stimulates the metabolism
- Forskolin-forskolin stimulates the release of stored fat from fat cells
- Chromium – to help reduce sugar cravings
- Protein Shake- Vega, Garden of Life, Progressive.
Keep in mind, weight loss is not linear if after sticking to a program and results are still not evident there may be other factors at play i.e. Hormonal imbalance, Gut bacteria imbalance etc.
In Good Health,